Thursday, June 17, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance

Hello again!

As you may or may not know, I really enjoy watching American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance. SYTYCD just had it's first voting show last night, which I taped and watched this morning. I haven't really watched any of the show up until now, which is typically what I do for American Idol, but not for SYTYCD because even though they may not all be the best dancers, you typically get really good dancers in the auditions and future tryouts.

This year the producers of SYTYCD have decided to change the format of the competition (side note: this word always makes me think of Kozlov saying 'I demand better competition!'... and then I chuckle to myself...) where instead of each of the contestants being paired up with each other, as seen in previous seasons, there are fewer contestants (11 vs. the usual 20-24) and each are paired with a different 'all-star' dancer who has been on the show before and are known for the style of dance they will be dancing in. At first, I didn't like this idea mainly because I thought I would spend most of the time watching the all-stars that I know from different seasons and not really care about the contestants. However, I didn't find this to be the case at all. I also was worried from the competition's perspective that the all-stars would make all of the dancers look so good that it would be difficult to determine who was actually a better dancer. After thinking about it, I don't think that was the case either. In fact, as the show neared the end, it became more obvious as to which contestants were able to step up to their all-star's level (all of which were absolutely fantastic and the show did a great job at picking them!) and which contestants were being dragged along for the ride.

My favourite routine was by far the third dance of the night which was a hip-hop routine choreographed by Tabitha and Napoleon and was danced by all-star Comfort and contestant Jose. It was so amazing and well done that I think I watched it over about 10 times in full and just the opening sequence another 10 at least.

All in all, I really like this new set up of the show and I think that it makes the quality of the dancing on the show much higher. While I didn't watch any of the judges comments (I really only like watching the dancing parts of the show), I don't think there was a single flop routine the entire night!

So, if you're a fan of the show, or dancing, at all, I would check it out this season for sure!

No comments: